Not sure of what to wear to the ‘race that stops the nation?’ Keeping up with race day dress codes can be confusing, but we’ve rounded up the best advice from all over the Internet to get things clear. Remember it’s the biggest event of the season, so Vogue says ‘go big or go home’. From floral prints to pretty pastels, we’ve carefully curated 10 tips for choosing the perfect outfit for Melbourne Cup 2017.
1. Be sophisticated! Avoid anything too tight, revealing, strapless or midriff-baring. Dresses should fall below the knee or lower. Flowy or flared dresses are your best choice but do consider pants or a jumpsuit as well. The same rules apply for length – avoid anything too short.
2. Look for florals, lace and colour. Melbourne Cup falls in the Spring Carnival, so your outfit should embrace the best of Spring! Pastel tones or punchy colours will make a Melbourne Cup statement, but remember to plan your dress with your hat in mind. Trending for 2017 are straw boaters!
3. A headpiece or hat is always required. Choose one that is inspired by the Spring season, and stay away from heavier hats made from felt or wool. Your headpiece is your opportunity to get creative, but remember it needs to work with the rest of your outfit.
4. Don’t forget your accessories. Jesinta Campbell suggests that when planning your outfit, think about it as a whole. You need your headpiece to match your clutch and your clutch to match your outfit and your shoes. Then choose jewellery that will pull it all together.
5. Classic up-dos. Consider how your hair will sit with your headpiece or hat. Typically, it’s much easier to wear something that makes a statement when your hair is tied back. If you prefer wearing your hair out, pinning the front pieces back can have the same impact.
6. Go natural! Remember that race day is a daytime event, so don’t overdo it with your makeup. Clean skin and a bold lip is always a popular look but this year it’s all about highlighting your cheekbones to create a summery glow.
Image credits: Vogue
A Melbourne Cup experience that rivals being there on the track. Catch all the excitement of Australia’s greatest race whilst enjoying a delicious 3 course sit-down luncheon with flowing Prosecco and premium wines and beers. Cocktail on arrival, sweepstakes and fashion off the field prizes to be won.
Three locations to choose from: